Math Kangaroo Competition is an international, once a year event, always on the third Thursday in March.
Math Enrichment Clubs
The CRS PTA is pleased to offer two Math Clubs for our Churchill Road Students: Math Kangaroo (Grades 1-6) and Mathcounts (Grade 6). We are able to offer these clubs thanks to our amazing CRS Parent Volunteers!
Math Kangaroo INFO SESSIONS THIS WEEK!!! Registration closes Dec. 13 2022
MATH KANGAROO (GRADES 1-6)
MONDAY, November 28 @ 7pm via Google Meet
FRIDAY, December 2 @ 7pm via Google Meet
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/ees-kncp-irg
Or dial: (US) +1 304-774-5098 PIN: 950 342 588#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/ees-kncp-irg?pin=1045380239702
Math Kangaroo is an annual international math competition for students in grades 1-12. It gives each student, an equal opportunity to participate regardless of the student's math abilities. Students at all levels can have fun learning math while challenging themselves. Study for Math Kangaroo can help students develop logical thinking and gain confidence in the classroom. The information about this competition can be found at: https://mathkangaroo.org/
The Math Kangaroo competition held its first online format in 2020, as a response to address the COVID-19 situation. The online format of the exam will begin on this designated Thursday, and may continue over the course of days to accommodate the numbers of students that participate.
All students grades 1-12 qualify for participation in Math Kangaroo if they are able to work independently, read, and answer a multiple choice test.
Each student receives a T-shirt, an electronic certificate of participation, and a gift.
Pictures are taken and placed on our webpage or social media; you may request to opt-out during the registration process.
The competition questions are appropriate for the students’ age, and are both interesting and challenging.
Questions are chosen by the International Math Kangaroo Committee, AKSF (aksf.org).
In May students who rank top 20 in the country and top 3 in a given state are recognized on Math Kangaroo website and receive gifts.
Levels correspond with school grades:
1st Grade — Level 1
2nd Grade — Level 2
3rd Grade — Level 3, etc.
75 Minutes multiple choice test
24 Questions for students in grades 1, 2, 3 and 4
30 Questions for students in grades 5 and up
Here is an example of Math Kangaroo Answer Card
No aids other than writing utensils and paper will be allowed. In particular, no calculators will be allowed on any part of the competition, and any cell phones must be turned off
REGISTRATION FOR CRS MATH KANGAROO:
Registration closes December 13, 2022
First, the PTA Website:
1. Sign up your student for Math Kangaroo on the PTA Website under "MY ACCOUNT" and then "My Forms/Paperwork" and you should find forms with your children's names who are eligible to register for CRS Math Kangaroo. Please complete the information forms and make sure you "submit".
2. You will then receive an email from the CRS Math Kangaroo Manger, Han Chen, with the unique Churchill Road invitation code to be used in your Math Kangaroo registration.
Then, the Math Kangaroo Website:
3. Log in with your login and password or establish your user account if you are new.
4. Click on "Registration" on MK
5. Go to: MATH KANGAROO REGISTRATION PAGE
6. Log in with your login and password or establish your user account if you are new.
7. Click on "Registration on MK2023 Competition".
8.Select Virginia, then find "Churchill Road Elementary School Online", click on the green button.
9. Click on the tab Enroll By Invitation Code
10. Copy and paste this code provided by the center manager in the field Invitation Code: copy and paste your Inv. Code
11. Do not share the code with anyone.
12. You are ready to register and pay the $21 competition fee directly to Math Kangaroo.
Please contact CRS Math Kangaroo Manager, Han Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information; or Erin Moreno email@example.com
MATHCOUNTS (GRADE 6)
Our Math Club follows the MATHCOUNTS Program, which heightens students’ interests in mathematics by making mathematical achievement challenging and exciting.
The club will focus on problem-solving strategies and higher-level math concepts. Weekly, the mathletes will solve problems individually and in cooperative groups. High performers in the club may be selected to represent Churchill Road in the Fairfax County MATHCOUNTS competition. This competition usually takes place on a Saturday in February. In addition, all club members are eligible to participate in the AMC8 in December, which will be administered during one of our math club meetings.
Who Should Participate
For CRS students, MATHCOUNTS is open to 6th graders only (6th, 7th, and 8th-grade students compete in the competition). Students interested in MATHCOUNTS should be high performers in math who wish to be challenged by solving middle school math problems. Students currently enrolled in Algebra or 6th Grade Advanced Math are encouraged to consider participating. MATHCOUNTS is not recommended for students who need help understanding grade-level math skills.
Registration AND MEETINGS
1. Club meeting time is every Monday from 5-5:45 virtual except for couple of in-person tests, running from Oct 17th until Feb (TBD);
2. Tuition is $175, covering Mathcount Competition Fee, teacher chaperone, T-shirts/price etc;
Please contact Yaming Wang at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive more information on this club.
Students should supply their own scientific calculators.
Mathcounts.org (has a variety of resources)
MATHCOUNTS Minis (videos)